Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I grow with every film: Deepika Padukone

Deepika Padukone
Deepika Padukone plays a revolutionary in her next "Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey", but she's no less stoic when it comes to her life off-screen.

She's had a stellar start to her career and has also seen the highs and lows of relationships in tinseltown and has seemingly triumphed after everything. While promoting the movie where she plays the role of the revolutionary Kalpana Datta, Deepika spoke to us about her own struggle for identity and her current choc-a-bloc schedule.

Your schedule is hectic. Right after " Break Ke Baad", you got into the shooting of this film. Is the transition not difficult?
It's difficult to switch, be it going from " Love Aaj Kal" to "Break Ke Baad" or then going to "Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey". Everything changes for you – you're playing a different character, you're getting into a new film, you have to get familiar with the setup, the director, new technicians, new co-star, the environment, the film is new, and the process as an actor changes.

It's mostly on the sets that one's an actor. Off sets, it's usually the 'star' that you see...
Being a celeb or a star comes with what I do anyway. So, how people treat me on the sets or how they treat me when I step out of my home changes the minute I step out. It's only in your home where you are treated for who you are. I am my father's daughter, my mother's daughter, my sister's sister and my friends' friend. Beyond these relationships, everything else changes because for them you are a star, a celebrity.

Is this change in relationships scary?
For my immediate people, I'm the same. But, I do realise that the minute I step out of my home, the way people look at me is different. But it's not a burden on my head. It's something that comes with the profession, which doesn't change me as the person.

You're a reserved person, but your persona has changed of late.
Every person has a growth, every person evolves. Experience brings about such changes.

How have you evolved?
I grow with every film. I've become a lot more confident, expressive and a lot more open. That's the feedback I am getting even in terms of "Break Ke Baad".

Are you more evolved than any other 24-year-old?
I am a lot more responsible and a lot more mature for my age. I guess that comes with responsibility and the profession that I am in. Also, moving out at the age of 18-19 and living in a city like Mumbai is not easy. The entire transition of moving from Bangalore to Mumbai, entering an industry, meeting new people – I was completely alien to the whole thing and today I'm running my own house alone. Responsibilities come and I handle them.

Since you've shifted to Mumbai, has your struggle been more emotional or financial?
It was more emotional because financially I've always been comfortable in what I have been given. When I came to Mumbai, it's not that my father gave me this beautiful rented apartment where I could stay comfortably. Today I have my own apartment and that's because I have achieved it. They have been very, very supportive, but it was my own zidd that I wanted to achieve everything on my own. I didn't do my first film and expect everything to fall into my lap. It's a process that takes a while and I've worked hard to achieve all of that I have today.

So, you enjoy your luxury more than many of your contemporaries would?
Ya, because I know that the car I am driving today is not my father's car and the house that I live in is something I've bought with my own money – the money that I have earned.

Hopeful of finding a man who'd appreciate this confident woman?
For women, especially in our industry, it's very difficult when she is a lot more successful than a man. The relationship becomes lopsided. Therefore it's very important for me to find somebody as successful and who's very comfortable in his own space and someone who will not get insecure with my success. I don't want an unstable relationship because of my success. I want both of us to be equally successful or him to be as successful in his career. But I'm not looking at marrying for another 6-8 years.

No comments:

Project K’s Producer REACTS To Reports Of Deepika Padukone Rushed To Hospital Due To Increased Heart Rate: ‘These Are False Rumours’

Several reports were doing rounds that Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone was taken to Kamineni Hospital in Hyderabad after she felt unwell....