Saturday, November 20, 2010

BKB will do a lot of positive for me: Deepika Padukone

Deepika Padukone
Deepika Padukone has had a very prolific 2010. She has had three film releases already but she is not quite done yet. Before December 2010, you are going to see two more films starting of course with Break Ke Baad which is the film she is promoting this week.

In an interview with CNBC-TV18's Anuradha SenGupta, Padukone talks about the learnings that she had from all the films she had this year.

Here is the verbatim transcript of her comments.

Q: In 2010 you have got five films, it’s wonderful but it’s your busiest year so far?

A: Yes. In my first year 2007 I had one release which was Om Shanti Om which released exactly three years ago. Last year I had three releases and this year five. I think I have taken up as much work as I think I can handle and then I have realised that five films have released in one year, its not something that I have planned or thought about too much.

Q: I am not saying that you have planned it but it’s a lot of work this year and we are getting to see you in a wide variety of roles, isn’t it? Any career milestones you think out of these five for you?

A: I think its too soon to tell because like we discussed there is two more to release but I can definitely say I have learnt a lot from each one of them whether it was doing something different like Karthik Calling Karthik where I play a psychiatric and that was a psychological thriller and a romantic thriller. Then I had House Full which was a complete out and out the so called ‘mass entertainer’ and then I have Break Ke Baad now. I had Lafangey Parindey again for me, the film didn’t do well but I think for me it’s beyond that sometimes. When a film doesn’t do well I would like to look at the positive and see what I have learned from it. I learnt how to skate, also as a person it taught me a lot because playing a blind person is not easy at all but hopefully when all the five films release I would like to believe that Break Ke Baad will do a lot of positive for me.

Q: From what I hear about the film, it seems to be a young, modern, romantic comedy and that’s the kind of film that really appeals to you? Is that why you feel that’s going to be as positive?

A: Somewhere I like doing these kind of films, say a Love Aaj Kal or even now Break Ke Baad, I like doing these kind of films because somewhere as an audience I liked watching these kind of films. I enjoy also being a part of these films. I find it a lot of fun. I am romantic at heart. I love watching or being a part of romantic films or love stories. And the reason I say Break Ke Baad will stand out for me hopefully is because of the character that I play, its something that I haven’t done before and also the character is very different from the kind of person that I am in real life.

Q: In a mainstream Hindi movie how many nuances can a female actors character have?

A: I think gone are the days when one would question the capability or the contribution of a Hindi film heroine to a film. I think those times have changed.

Q: You mean commercial success?

A: No I think people still are under the notion that it’s the man who has a lot more to do than the woman or woman is just there to add glamour to a film. Yes there are certain films that are still being made today where a woman is used merely as a prop. She is there to be a part of the song sequences, she is there to look great and that’s about it, but we have moved beyond that. I think the kind of films that I have done and the kind of films that lot of other girls have done as well that’s sort of changed that norm. Having said that you don’t see any film today where there is no heroine. Even if people think that if the man has a lot more to contribute or that our actors have a lot more to contribute, why is it then that people are not making films only with the men? Today the girls are working a lot more than the guys.

Q: Do you like romantic comedies because the woman probably has an equal if not more than equal share of the movie?

A: Yes and that’s actually something I was discussing with Kunal Kohli last night because I just watched my film and he was talking about how important to have a powerful girl character in a love story. Yes, you are right so that probably is also one of the reasons why I enjoy doing love stories.

No comments:

Project K’s Producer REACTS To Reports Of Deepika Padukone Rushed To Hospital Due To Increased Heart Rate: ‘These Are False Rumours’

Several reports were doing rounds that Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone was taken to Kamineni Hospital in Hyderabad after she felt unwell....